Judith Surowiec to Show at Castelli Gallery

JUDITH SUROWIEC: MOMENTS IN TIME

SOLO EXHIBITION

February 23rd -April 20th, 2023

Artist Reception: March 9th, 5:30-7:30 PM

Artist Talk 6PM

Overlook Parking by Judith Surowiec, acrylic on linen 24 x 30 inches

Prolific and vibrant landscape painter, Judith Surowiec will be exhibiting at the Castelli Gallery located in the Burd Center for the Arts Building at Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga.

February 23rd -April 20th, 2023. 

Surowiec‘s paintings are a visual diary. She feels a sense of history and a sense of her time in every stroke; a true reflection of her life.

“Most of my paintings begin on location, states Surowiec, a place where the air is full of light, color and enormous energy. While out there in the elements, I try to take that sense of light and energy, and drape it onto my canvas. Yes, sometimes I work out of the confines of the stretcher frame, and I find that the odd shape of the canvas inspires me to think ‘out of the box’ and avoid the ‘call of reality.’ 

After a couple of hours in the elements out on location, I take the painting to my studio, where I bring it to another level, scrutinizing every inch, and painting over it if needed. 

Once this step has begun, the painting process slows down considerably, and may therefore take me many hours, days, or months to finish.  When it is done, I sigh, wishing it would take longer…for I just don’t want it to end.”

Judith Surowiec, The Inn, 36 x 24 inches

Surowiec captures moments of life, painting lively small-town scenes such as a Tennessee farmhouse, a historical Victorian Georgia home, or the people and places that she connects to in some way.

She has been making art with acrylics and colored pencils for over 50 years and has created a body of work using acrylics on flat, folded, or even crumpled canvas.

Surowiec is full of enthusiasm which helps others feel the excitement found in the arts.

She does this by painting demos in schools, talking about her artistic journey, teaching the medium, and always stopping her work for a gentle critique for a fellow artist.

Surowiec graduated from SUNY, Buffalo, NY with a BS degree in art education and also spent 15 years studying with Joseph Perrin, professor emeritus of Georgia State School of Art.  He helped her to embrace creativity and be not afraid.  

Surowiec is a founder of the Valley Artist Association in Peekskill, NY, and the Dunwoody Arts and Crafts Guild in Dunwoody, Georgia.  Her work can be found in several books on colored pencils and acrylic painting.   

Judith Surowiec lives and works outside of Atlanta, GA, and has a studio in the Tannery Row Artist Colony in Buford GA.

Visit  Judith Surowiec’s website to learn more about Surowiec’s paintings and see her additional works.

Contact: Gena Brodie Robbins, Director, and Curator of Galleries at Brenau University by emailing gallery@brenau.edu or calling 770-534-6181